A dental crown, or tooth crown is an encasing that fully covers or “caps” a tooth, and it is used for a variety of reasons including:
- To restore a broken, cracked or worn down tooth
- To cover and strengthening of a tooth that is weak or has a large filling
- To cover a dental implant
- To improve the aesthetic appearance of a tooth
A crown can be made of resin, porcelain, metal, or a combination of porcelain and metal. It is bonded to its base with dental cement.
PLACEMENT OF DENTAL CROWNS
Usually the placement of dental crown is performed within two appointments. During the first visit, the affected tooth and gum will be examined, X-rays taken to assess the extent of the damage. Any decay or damage will be removed and the tooth reduced to the needed dimensions. After that, an impression of the tooth will be taken, place a temporary crown that will protect the tooth until it‘s replaced by the permanent crown. The second visit will be dedicated to the crown placement.
PORCELAIN DENTAL CROWNS IN NEWPORT BEACH
Porcelain is the most popular choice for the crown material because of its durability as well as the texture and color that can be perfectly matched to your natural teeth. The porcelain dental bridges and crowns offered by our cosmetic and reconstructive dental offices satisfy the most refined tastes. Our facilities are equipped with the state-of-the art solutions and we use the finest materials available in contemporary dentistry.
A dental bridge is a false tooth or a set of two false teeth built to cover the gap between the existing natural or implanted teeth. A dental bridge serves one of all of the following functions:
- Restoration of patient’s ability to chew food
- Restoration of proper speech
- Restoration of the natural shape of patient’s face
- As a space holder, to prevent existing teeth from moving around and becoming unstable
Depending on the complexity of your individual case, the placement of dental crowns and bridges usually requires at least two appointments.
TYPES OF DENTAL BRIDGES
Our clinics offer three general types of bridges:
- Traditional bridge – the most common type of bridge that requires placing a crown for the tooth or implant on both sides of the missing tooth (teeth), with false teeth in between. The materials used might be either ceramic or porcelain combined with metal.
- Cantilever bridge is a type of bridge that usually consists of two false teeth attached to adjacent teeth only on one side, when there are no teeth on the other side.
- Maryland bonded bridges are the least expensive kind that is made of false teeth and gums made of plastic and attached to a metal frame. It is held in place with the help of metal wings on either side of the bridge.
COST OF DENTAL CROWNS AND BRIDGES
The cost of crowns and bridges is affected by a variety of factors like their type, materials used, the complexity and scope of work being done.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL CROWNS & BRIDGES
The biggest benefit of dental crown and bridges is your healthy, natural-looking and attractive smile. Having broken or missing teeth affects not only your appearance but also your ability to chew food and speak properly. With a dental crown, you will be able to save, protect and strengthen a damaged tooth. Dental crowns and bridges at our dental clinics look and feel natural and meet the highest standards of quality.