Composite Fillings (Tooth Colored Fillings)
Composite filling is a cosmetic and reconstructive dentistry procedure in which a tooth-colored resin material (a durable plastic material) is applied and hardened with a special light, which ultimately “bonds” the material to the tooth to create a perfect smile.
Composite fillings are recommended for our patients for the following reasons:
- To repair decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities)
- To repair chipped or cracked teeth
- To improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- To close gaps between teeth
- To change the shape of teeth of make them look longer
- As a cosmetic alternative to fillings
- To protect a portion of the tooth’s root that may have been exposed by receding gums
Composite Filling procedure at our Clinics
First, Your teeth will be examined and use the dental shade guide to select the composite resin color that will match the color of your teeth. Anesthesia may or may not be applied, depending on the condition of your tooth. In most cases, anesthesia is not necessary for bonding.
Then, the surface of the tooth will be roughened and a conditioning liquid applied to help the bonding material adhere to the tooth. The tooth-colored resin will be applied, molded, and smoothed to the desired shape, and laser will be used to harden the material once the tooth has been shaped. After a little while, shaping will be finished after having checked your bite, and then polish the tooth.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL BONDING
Dental bonding is a popular procedure among our Newport Beach office patients because it offers multiple important benefits:
- It is among the easiest and least expensive cosmetic dentistry treatments
- It can be done in one office visit in an hour or less
- Unlike veneers and crowns, it does not involve substantial tooth enamel removal
- Usually, anesthesia is not needed for bonding
- It can be done for one or more teeth depending on the procedure